Friday, October 2, 2009

First Blog Post/ New Mexico!!

So we have decided to jump on the blog bandwagon and start one of our own! Now that we are so far away from a lot of our friends and family, we thought this would be a great way to keep everyone updated with all of our crazy adventures. We hope to keep it fairly updated (a couple times a week) and upload pictures so you can see all the amazing things we get to see. We miss everyone and hope to see you all soon! First adventure... New Mexico!

This is Ty's car packed down during the dust storm in TX.
He had a soft top carrier on top of the car plus our two road bikes on the back. His car was sitting pretty low with all that extra weight.

We left Vicksburg, Mississippi around 10 AM on Tuesday. Unfortunately we hit traffic immediately! It took us half an hour to make it across the Mississippi River into Louisiana. We got onto the interstate at exit 1B. 30 minutes for a little over a mile was not a good start to our trip. Luckily, we made it through Louisiana pretty quickly. There wasn't much to see there. In fact, there wasn't much to see until we made it to Dallas. We awesomely timed our trip so that we hit Dallas right at 5:30 PM. Ty assures me that Dallas rush hour traffic is not as bad as Atlanta's but I still didn't find it very fun. We made it all the way to Wichita Falls, TX before calling it a day.

The next morning we woke up early and got on the road around 6:30 AM. We were ready to get there! The trip was incredibly boring. Texas is HUGE and the way our route went, there was not much to see besides cows and windmills. The winds were high, and we drove through a pretty dense dust storm at one point. Once we got within 15 miles of the New Mexico border, the scene changed and the wind picked up a lot. The closer we got to Albuquerque, the higher the winds got. It was pretty scary for a while there, both of us getting pushed around due to the winds. We couldn't even go the speed limit (75 MPH), we had to stick around 60. The saying is true, though, slow and steady was the way for us to make it up into Albuquerque. We made it up to the house in Rio Rancho around 2:30- just in time for Ty to go help coach the Rio Rancho High School JV soccer game. Perfect timing.

We're very happy to be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment